Large dumpsters are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at the Recycling Center located in the Village Maintenance Yard, 11295 Waterville Street. This newly constructed, well-lit area can be used for cardboard, newspaper, and plastic/glass/aluminum containers. All other items will be collected on Mondays with normal refuse collection. The dumpsters are labeled for the following items. Please DO NOT place plastic bags into the dumpsters.
Cardboard: Must be flattened and clean and free of any packing material (Styrofoam, plastic, etc.)
Paper: Newspaper, magazines, sale fliers, office paper, junk mailings and school papers.
Containers: Steel or aluminum cans, glass bottles or jars (any color), and plastic containers with the #1, #2, #4, #5, or #7 recycle symbol on the bottom. Please rinse containers before depositing them.
Cell phones and rechargeable batteries can be recycled at the Village Offices. For information, please call 419-877-5383.
Yard Waste/Grass Clippings: The Village has contracted with Ohio Compost, located at 10839 Sager Road, Swanton, Ohio, for composting and recycling all residential and municipal green waste. Grass clippings, yard waste and brush can be disposed of at this location at no charge to Village residents. When delivering yard waste to this location, proof of Whitehouse residency is required. Ohio Compost recycles 100% of the materials collected into a useable end product. Various mulch products are available for purchase at that location. Alternate methods of disposal are:
- Recycle your grass clippings and tree leaves by using a mulching lawn mower. Turn your existing mower into a mulcher by purchasing a mulching kit available from your local power equipment dealer or retailer. If you are considering a new lawn mower, this option is common on most new mowers for little to no additional cost. It eliminates the need for raking and bagging grass and leaves, returns vital nutrients to the turf to build a better lawn, and keeps weeds to a minimum. The lawn/turf fertilizing industry has several lawn maintenance fertilizers that work with mulching principles for maintaining healthy lawns.
- Compost your grass clippings, leaves and vegetative debris in a backyard composting bin (check your local HOA rules to be sure that a compost bin is allowed in your neighborhood).
Items NOT accepted for recycling are:
- Aluminum storm doors and downspouts
- Plate glass, such as windows or mirrors
- Plastics without the #1, #2, #4, #5, or #7 recycling symbol stamped on the bottom
- Food cans containing food residue
For the further recycling information, please view the 2017 Recycler’s List.