The Village of Whitehouse employees collect refuse with the use of three refuse trucks and one newspaper recycling truck. Refuse is collected on Mondays and should be placed at the curb by 8:00 a.m. If a Village-observed holiday (New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Eve (half-day) falls on Monday, refuse will be collected the next regularly scheduled work day. Refuse may not be set out prior to Sunday at 6:00 p.m. Following is a list of additional information. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Village employees at 419-877-5383.
1. Starting in July of 2007, a refuse fee will be collected on a monthly basis; this fee will be included on your water bill and listed as “R” for refuse. The current fee is $9.00. Water bills are mailed on the first of each month (or on Monday following the 1st).
2. All refuse must be placed in bags. Items too large for bags (furniture, appliances, etc.) should be placed at the curb. If you use a refuse container, the refuse must be bagged inside the container. Keeping the refuse in bags avoids the trash being blown around by the wind.
3. No bag will be picked up that weighs more than forty (40) pounds.
4. To avoid injury to our personnel, broken glass or sharp objects must be wrapped in newspaper before being placed in plastic bags.
5. No brush will be collected. A truck is available to residents having large amounts of brush. It will be left at your residence for you to load overnight on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays. Call during regular office hours and Village employees will be happy to schedule your appointment.
6. Two-family dwellings will be treated the same as single family stops. Multi-family residences will not be collected.
7. The Village will collect refuse at commercial establishments (Zoned C-1 or C-2), with a four (4) bag limit per week. The bags cannot contain refuse directly produced, generated or related to the commercial activity conducted on the premises. There will be no unlimited refuse collection at commercial stops.
8. Christmas trees are collected at the end of the holiday season and should be placed curbside during regular refuse collection.
9. A refuse “Carry-Out Program” is available for qualified residents. Village employees will pick-up refuse at your door, instead of at the curb. There is no charge for the service, but an application must be filled out. Applications are available at Village Hall during normal business hours or here Refuse Carry-out Form. Proof of eligibility may be required. For additional information, please call Village employees at 419-877-5383.
10. Due to regulations and fees associated with disposal of certain items, the Village is forced to charge a disposal fee. Stickers for these items can be purchased at Village Hall and should be placed on the item for weekly collection:
- Car tires – $4
- Semi-truck tires – $8
- Tractor tires – $12
- Mattress – $10.50
- Refrigerator or freezer – $30
- Air conditioner or other freon containing items – $30
11. The following materials will not be collected and must be disposed of in another manner:
- Yard waste / brush / grass clippings (see Recycling Programs section)
- Concrete blocks, broken cement or concrete
- Sod, dirt or rocks
- Automobile parts
- Building material (roofing shingles, drywall, etc.)
Materials prohibited from being disposed of in landfills (Ohio House Bill 592) as follows:
- Wastes deemed infectious by the generator
- Cultures and stocks of infectious agents, including specimen cultures, wastes from the production of biological and discarded live vaccines
- Laboratory wastes
- Pathological wastes (body parts)
- Animal carcasses
- Human and animal blood specimens or products
- Patient wastes such as bandages or disposable gowns
- Sharp wastes such as needles, syringes, and scalpels
- Any material generated by research facilities pertaining to the production or testing of biological agents
12. If your refuse is not collected, it will be tagged indicating the violation and reason for non-collection.