Questions FAQs Find Answers To Popular Questions.

General Questions:

The Village crews provide curb-side leaf collection for all residents beginning in mid-October. Residents are asked to place leaves near the curb so that they can be picked up and disposed of, free of charge to the residents.

Leaves should be placed behind the curb or just off the edge of the pavement on uncurbed streets. DO NOT PLACE LEAVES ON THE PAVEMENT! On-street parking causes problems during the collection process. Please avoid parking on the street when your district is scheduled for collection. The leaves are taken to various area farmers who have indicated they would like to use them as compost material which then is plowed into the fields.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Village employees at 419-877-5383.

Probably! Before starting any project, it’s always best to contact Village employees to inquire if you or your contractor needs a permit.  All contractors doing work within the Village limits must also be registered with the Village of Whitehouse in addition to any state licensure requirements.

Permit forms and information are available on the “Online Forms” section at of our website.  Projects that do require permits include, but are not limited to:

  • Decks or porches
  • Roof
  • Any new construction
  • Additions
  • Sheds
  • Garages
  • Pools, over 2 feet deep and at least 12 feet wide
  • Plumbing upgrades
  • Electrical upgrades
  • HVAC
  • Water heaters

Projects that do not require permits:

  • Windows and doors as long as the size of the opening does not change
  • Siding
  • Pools, under 2 feet deep and less than 12 feet wide

The Ohio Building Code and Village Fee Schedule do set forth a fine for commencing a project without first obtaining a building permit.  You will also be charged a fee for the Stop Work Order.   Remember to call Village Hall first… it could save you and your contractor hundreds of dollars!

This is sometimes a difficult question to answer.  Here is a partial list of projects that do require a permit. You should always check with Village employees before proceeding.

  • New construction, demolition, extensive repairs, or alterations to existing buildings
  • Any electrical, plumbing, or heating and cooling work
  • Sidewalks and drive approaches, including curb cuts
  • Signs
  • Temporary banners
  • Sheds, decks, porches, garages, fences, swimming pools, re-roofs
  • Windows and doors if the frame size changes

All tents 200 sq.ft. or larger require a tent permit. Call 419-877-0363 for details.

The Village of Whitehouse offers the convenience of accepting MasterCard, Discover, American Express and Visa credit cards for your utility bill payments. The payment processing company charges a service fee of 2.5% or $2.00 minimum to cardholders who use this service. Just stop by our office to use your MasterCard, Discover Card, American Express or Visa or go back to the home page and click on Pay Bills to pay through your Customer Portal.

Police Department Questions:

The Police Administration Office is open Monday through Thursday from 8:00am-5:00pm.  Contact our Safety Office Assistant Jennifer Herman at 419-877-9191 or email

Parking fines can be paid:

1. In person at the Village Hall building located at 6925 Providence St, Whitehouse, OH 43571.
2. By mail (6925 Providence St., P.O. Box 2476, Whitehouse, OH 43571).
Cash and checks only are accepted. No credit / debit cards. The Police Department will also not accept a large amount of coins as payment.

You can register your bicycle at the Police Department. You will receive a Bicycle License sticker that you should place on your bicycle. This makes it easier to return the bicycle to its owner, should it become lost or stolen and found by police. There is no charge for this service.

The officer will need to know the following bicycle information: bicycle make, model, color, men’s/woman’s/child’s bicycle, and wheel size. The officer can assist you with obtaining this information by bringing your bicycle to the police department.

No.  Any deviation from this policy must be approved by the Chief of Police.

You will need to obtain a release for your vehicle from the Whitehouse Police Department. There may be conditions for the release of your vehicle (unpaid tickets, parking fines, court sanctions, etc.). The Whitehouse police Department does not operate its own towing service or impound lot. You will need to pay the private tow company as part of the conditions for release. Please stop by the Police Department or call prior to attempting to obtain the release.

The Whitehouse Police Department is dispatched through the Lucas County 911 Regional Council of Governments.  Their non-emergency and after hours phone number is 419-255-8443.  If you are located in Lucas County, you can call 911, and a Whitehouse police officer will be dispatched.  Please call 911 for ALL Emergencies.

The Village Hall is open Monday through Thursday (except holidays) from 8:00am to 5:30pm.  You can stop at the Front Desk and ask to speak with an officer.  Village administrative staff will call on officer to meet you at the Village Hall.

If you are at the Whitehouse Police Department entrance, there is a call box located on the lower left side of the front entrance door.  Simply push the call button.  This notifies a Lucas County Dispatcher who will send an officer to the Police Department to meet with you.

The Whitehouse Police Department non-emergency number is 419-877-9191 and fax number is 419-877-1014.

Tax Related Questions:
  • Failure to sign return/attach check/include name on return
  • Failure to file Declaration of Estimate
  • Failure to advise of address changes
  • Failure to file return for the year taxpayer moves in or out
  • Failure to allocate taxes paid when allocating income for move-in/move out year
  • Failure to pay 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarter estimated tax payments
  • Failure to mail return
  • Failure to attach schedules/forms and statements
  • Failure to attach W-2
  • Failure to use gross compensation (normally Box 5)

No, you must submit a copy of your federal extension to Whitehouse on or before the original due date of the return. Any tax liability estimated to be due on the return should be paid with the extension. Filling of an extension does not abate penalty and interest.

The deadline for the filing is April 15 or four months after the end of the fiscal year, or if it falls on a weekend, the first business day after.

Trusts and estates conducting business within the Village are required to file a Whitehouse Business Return and report, at the entity level, all net profits or losses earned or incurred as a result of activity conducted within the Village. Tax is due on the net profits reported as having been earned in the Village. Since the tax is paid at the entity level of the trust or estate, beneficiaries are not required to pay Village tax on income derived from trusts or estates.

Yes, a Whitehouse resident is taxed upon his/her share of all income earned by partnerships (wherever located) in which he/she is a partner. However, half credit (up to .75%) is given for all city income tax that was paid to the city or cities in which the income was earned, whether the partnership as an entity or you as an individual partner paid that tax.

Yes, you should file your return by the due date whether or not you are able to pay the entire amount that you owe. You will receive a bill for the unpaid taxes along with late payment penalty and interest charges. You may then contact us to arrange for payment for the charges shown on the bill. There will be a penalty charged for each month the return is not filed.

Yes, all residents or non-residents conducting a business within Whitehouse must file an annual return and report the net profits or losses. The leasing of real or tangible property (i.e. income from a rental property) that you own is considered a taxable business activity that must be reported. Losses can be used or carried forward for a period of five years.

Look at the gross wage figure on your paycheck stub. If you are an hourly employee, your gross wage is generally computed by multiplying your hourly rate (or overtime rate applicable) by the number of hours you worked during the period. Gross wages for a salaried employee are generally determined by dividing gross annual salary by the number of pay periods in the salary year. Whether hourly or salaried, gross wages are determined by including any deductions or deferments (i.e. 401K deferrals). Multiply your gross wages by the Whitehouse tax rate (1.5%) The result of this computation should equal local tax that was withheld from your wages. If you find that the correct local tax is not being withheld, you need to contact your employer to have it corrected. Although your employer is legally responsible for withholding the correct tax and paying that tax to Whitehouse, the tax is imposed upon your wages and you have the responsibility to ensure that your full tax obligation is being met.

You will normally have to remit two types of Village taxes: the net profits tax and the employee withholding tax (if you have employees). The first is the tax due on profits from your business, whether it is a sole proprietorship, corporation or partnership. Partnerships can file and pay the tax at the entity level or file an informational return and each individual partner then files and pays his/her share of the tax. To remit the second type of tax (tax withheld from your employees’ wages) you will need to establish a withholding account with the Village. You can do this by completing a Business Questionnaire Form which is available on this website. Employers are liable for all Whitehouse withholding taxes that should have been withheld from their employees’ wages EVEN if those taxes were not, in fact, withheld. Because of this obligation, you’ll want to make sure you set up your employer withholding account as soon as you hire employees.

Yes, we have employees available during normal business hours. Please call prior to coming in to be sure that someone can assist you in a timely manner. We can only prepare your Whitehouse return (not federal or state) and cannot help you with returns for other municipalities. Bring your federal return and all related schedules including your W-2’s and/or 1099 forms to our office.

First, don’t always rely on the mailing address to determine the municipality in which you live or work. The U.S. Postal Service establishes mailing addresses based upon the Post Office that serves your area, not the city in which you may actually live or work. Similarly, you cannot rely on your school district, since they don’t always follow municipal boundaries. If you have questions, please call the Tax Division at 419-877-5383.

Yes, Whitehouse is considered your domicile (i.e., you are eligible to vote in Whitehouse, you file a State of Ohio tax return with a Whitehouse address, etc.).

It is based upon, and employers are required to withhold to, the employee’s work location (municipality).

Yes, all Whitehouse residents are required to file a local income tax return, whether or not they have been fully withheld and/or have paid a municipal tax to another community. Apartment dwellers within the Village are residents and are required to file an annual Whitehouse income tax return.

No, a husband and wife may elect to file separately or jointly regardless of their federal or state filing status. At the municipal tax level, there is no advantage to filing separately and we suggest filing jointly.

No. You are not required to file an income tax return with Whitehouse, nor do we tax you on these types of income. However, you must file a final return stating this, so we will not send you an income tax return in the future. If you do return to work, any earnings (other than retirement income) would be subject to the local income tax and you would be required to file an annual Whitehouse income tax return.

Ask your employer to withhold the additional local tax to Whitehouse. The additional tax is considered an alternate tax due as a result of working in a city that has a tax rate less than your city of residence. Your employer is not required to withhold the alternate tax; however, many employers will upon request. The forms are available on this website, or your employer may contact us at 419-877-5383 if they have any questions.

Employer withholding due dates:

Jan, Feb, March – due April 30
Apr, May, June – due July 31
Jul, Aug, Sept – due October 31
Oct, Nov, Dec – due January 31

All Whitehouse residents must file an annual Village Income Tax Return whether or not taxes have been withheld or they have paid taxes to another community.